This isolated location was ideal for smuggling and there was considerable illicit activity.
Hove smugglers became notorious, with contraband often being stored in the now partially repaired St. Tradition has it that The Ship Inn was a favourite rendezvous for the smugglers, and in 1794 soldiers were billeted there.
Hove is bordered by Brighton to the east and Portslade-by-Sea in the west, the distance between the boundaries being some 2.25 mi (3.75 km).
During mid 19th-century building work near Palmeira Square, workmen levelled a substantial burial mound.
In 1818 there was a pitched battle on Hove beach between revenue men and smugglers, from which the latter emerged as the victors.
A gasworks built east of Brighton in 1819, and therefore similarly exempt, was supplied by sailing brigs grounding at high tide, the crew tipping the coal down chutes into horse-drawn carts then re-floating on the next tide.
Although within Hove parish the residents of these elegant houses studiously avoided the name of the impoverished village a mile to the west as an address.
Straggling development along the coast loosely connected the estate to fashionable Brighton, so that name was used instead.
Although production of coal gas was notorious for the smell it produced, the company acquired land in the fields between Hove Street and St.
Andrew's Church, and in 1832 built a gasworks on a two-acre site.